BitSight is an entirely “in the cloud” service; it belongs to a new generation of solutions called OSINT, Open Source Intelligence, which is rapidly gaining ground for the benefits it offers in terms of breadth of information and ease of management.
On top of these advantages BitSight adds its own processing that allows a concise, business view, very useful at all levels.
The BitSight platform proposes a substantially different approach from other security assessment and monitoring tools. This approach has two pivotal points:
- OUTSIDE IN. The approach is completely non-intrusive on the customer, BitSight never performs any scan on the networks of any company. The data target of the analysis are collected exclusively from the Internet.
- DATA ORIENTED. Data are collected from several repositories. Such data are public as they transit on the network and are available to anyone who wants to observe them. The subsequent analyzes, correlations, summaries, reports are at the base of the service offered.
BitSight Security Ratings describe a company’s cybersecurity posture, serve as a measure of their risk, and transform how companies manage security risk by using a data-driven, outside-in approach to rate a company’s security effectiveness. The automated BitSight service provides ratings based on evidence of observed security outcomes that are updated daily.
The assessment of BitSight is summarized in a numerical indicator called “Security Rating”, which goes from 250 to 900, conceptually similar to the score that determines the creditworthiness of a person: a high rating value corresponds to a better security reliability.
The Rating assigned by BitSight is based on the following macro categories:
- Number and type of observed Risk Events. This includes all those events observed on the network that indicate a risk of compromising the infrastructure. (Compromised Systems)
- Duration and Severity of the Events
- Diligence in the Configurations, indicating which steps have been actively taken to prevent and mitigate IT risks. These Events demonstrate the actions and the configurations that a company has diligently undertaken to minimize risks. They represent the positive, proactive part of the analysis. (Diligence)
- Risky behaviour of the EndUsers(UserBehaviour)
- Dataloss, based on news available to the public.
The sophisticated analytics and alerting capabilities provide risk managers the insight they need to proactively identify, quantify, and mitigate the risk of being exposed to a breach, unlike the manual and subjective assessments used to manage risk today.